Monday, May 10, 2010

Smarty Pants

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how cliches are overtaking our language, culture, and thinking? No matter where you are or who you're talking to, words like "sustainable," "green," and "organic" fly out of people's mouths like watermelon pits at a picnic.

And suddenly everyone who is anyone is savvy. So far today--and it's only lunchtime-- I heard a "savvy young writer" being interviewed on the radio, read a Q & A with a "savvy broadcaster" in the newspaper, saw a "savvy chef" on one of those moronic morning TV shows, and just now, came across a  review of a book by yet another savvy writer, although this one is also "up-and-coming," online.

Ditto for Elena Kagan, the woman just nominated by Obama to be the newest justice of the US Supreme Court. Were I fixing her up with a friend for a blind date, I would describe her as short, smart, fat, and dykey-looking with bad hair (oh relax, she is NOT reading this!), but according to today's Portland Press Herald, Kagan is "sharp and politically savvy."

Just to be sure, since I thought maybe I'd missed something, I checked the dictionary and confirmed that savvy means someone who years ago would have been called "a regular Einstein." But in today's hectic, fast-paced world, it isn't enough to be just knowledgeable, or even smart or brilliant; these days, you gotta be savvy.

I'm not sure, but I think I might be too old to be savvy since everyone who is seems to also be young. Even fat Elena Kagan, who at 50 would be the youngest justice on the court, is a mere baby while I am suddenly "a woman of a certain age."  Which makes you wonder: why are there no men of a certain age?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post. Granted, most of the upcoming generation really hasn't accomplished anything or has anything worth while to say (though they think they do). Therefore have to use a new word to describe something that wasn't that memorable to begin with and it uses less characters....

Andrea Rouda said...

Good point Gabby! Glad to know someone got what I meant!