Monday, November 9, 2009

Memorable Movie Moments


Remind me in my next life to become a dentist. These guys have it made! Sure, they have to put up with actually doing the work, which at best seems fairly disgusting, but they make tons of money doing it and they can basically say what they want and you gotta believe them. Sort of like car mechanics, they have access to the goods, and you need the goods to function.

Today I visited a periodontist--let's call him Doctor X- for the first time in my life, but he made it seem like I should have come years ago. Apparently I have a dire situation that threatens my very existence, and if I don't act very soon it could lead to an infection that could go to my eye or my BRAIN! (Okay, Doc, where do I sign?)

So for $1,400 he will fix this bad situation. What really sucks big time is that this particular situation is in a tooth that has already cost upwards of $4,000, paid out to other dentists who had their own turns with it, and now Doctor X is going to pull it and throw it in the trash! Did I mention he is German and I am Jewish? So what, you say? Did you see "Marathon Man"?

After I stopped sobbing I called my husband, out of town in Chicago on business, and he said this is not worth killing myself over, which I mentioned as being a possible course of action. Next I called my son to cheer me up, since he is one of the few people on Earth who can, but he was too busy to talk to me--there was loud music in the background. He said he would call back. He has not.

The worst part is that I will undergo this horrible torture, to be followed in three months by more of the same involving bone grafts and sinus lifts, and I will get over it, and I will die anyway, sooner or later, dental implants and all.

I sure could have used that phone call from my son. Kids!

2 comments:

deneb said...

hey wait a minute. why didn't you call ME??? and the problem isn't fixed by an extraction? and why did you not go back to the original torturer and have him fix it for free this time.....omg, my tooth is starting to hurt just thinking about all this. don't get any bone implants that is awful.

Andrea Rouda said...

The "original torturer" is in washington DC and I now live in Maine. You could not pay me to go back there!