Monday, November 23, 2009

One Man's Ceiling...


Michael Jackson, although still quite dead, made the news today. While living, he wore a rhinestone-studded golf glove on TV, and it quickly became his trademark. This past Saturday that very glove was auctioned off for $350,000. Including taxes and fees, the new owner, a Chinese fellow from Hong Kong, paid $420,000 for the item.

I learned this from today's Wall Street Journal, just across the page from a story detailing the increase in suicides in our country in 2008. "Financial pressures outpace depression" as the main reason for the rise in suicides, according to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline director.

Things sure are screwy here, and by here I mean on our planet, not just the good old USA. Friends say I am too negative, they ask why must I dwell on bad things, why don't I ever look at the bright side?

Okay, fine. The new owner of that glove must have a lot of money! And now Michael Jackson's parents and children will have more money too! I imagine the auction house that handled the deal made out quite well, so I guess things really are good here after all. What recession?

As for those suicidal folks, I have some advice that my ex-husband always offered up when I was down in the dumps: "Cheer up!" (Ultimately I followed his advice, which is how he got to be my ex-husband.)

3 comments:

Mitch said...

i hear you wrote a new blog
but where oh where is it?

AndreaJRouda said...

Because of a computer glitch, i have two blog addresses:
www.roto-rouda.blogspot.com
and
www.andrearouda.blogspot.com.

The new one is at the other address!

deneb said...

I don't get it, why do you have two?